Friday 1 August 2014

Upcycle those dead candles...

I love candles. Lovvvve them. I'm a particular sucker for candles that come in glass jar containers. 
I have candles in every single room, so many that I practically have shares in Yankee Candle. Really. I even have a bacon Yankee Candle in the kitchen (it stinks by the way). 

When a candle reached the end of its beautiful smelling life I always found it hard to chuck it away, it seemed like such a waste. I mean, surely I could do something with the glass container? 

I've discovered how to give these jars a second life by upcycling them into something useful (or something to keep your children entertained for a good hour or so!). The trickiest bit is knowing how to get that stubborn inch of un-meltable wax clean out of the bottom. It's really rather easy and this is how! 

Stick the glass candle jars into your freezer for a good few hours, over night is best. 
The cold makes the wax contract meaning that it's super easy to pop out/break it up with a butter/blunt knife. (Please be careful). 
Lift the wax pieces out. (& if you're anything like me you'll sniff them longingly to remember their scrummy smell before bunging them in the bin... Strange. Yep.) 
Next you need to remove any labels. Peel them off best you can and then use hot water, washing up liquid and a bit of elbow grease. 
If there's any sticky residue left you can wipe it off with some nail varnish remover and cotton wool. (The cheaper the acetone the better. Don a disguise and go to the pound shop). 

Next I like to stick my jars in the dishwasher. I find this removes any remaining wax smears (probably not the best for the dishwasher but hey let's just ignore that bit). 

Once they're washed you're then ready to turn them into a whole host of handy things! Use them as they are or go wild and decorate them however you fancy. A simple bit of ribbon makes a cute touch.

Here are some ideas: 
Make-up brush holder.

Cottonwool pad pot.

Pen pot. (My imagination went into over drive with this one clearly!)

Loom band jar. (My house is covered in these pesky elastics so it's nice to encourage my daughter to store them neatly, plus she can see what bands she has).

Keep-your-kids-entertained-craft-project pot. 

Use acrylic/glass paint & let your children's artistic side shine. (Don't forget to protect your table!). 

So there you have it. Pretty decent containers made from something you would normally chuck away. 

Happy upcycling gang, love Emma xoxo 

PS Mmm, Bacon! *shudder* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...